If you take the tie to regularly care and protect your carpet, it can look great for a very long time. Read ahead for tips on how to preserve your carpet.
- Vacuum all the carpet in your home or business on a regular and thorough basis, particularly where there is high traffic. This helps prolong the life of it and will keep it looking fantastic.
- After laying your carpet, the first week should consist of vacuuming frequently yet lightly. From there onwards you should vacuum at least once a week but if you have children or pets more regularly is recommended.
- For lightly soiled areas, give three vacuum passes. However, for heavily soiled areas between 5 and 7 passes are recommended.
- If you vacuum against the pile first this will help eliminate and displace any grit and dirt to decrease the possibility of matting.
- Before completing the vacuuming, take the time to go against the pile for a uniform finish.
Type of Vacuum
- A quality vacuum is recommended for best results.
- Microfilter systems in vacuums remove fine particles such as dust mites, and they stay in the bag, which is particularly significant if you are dust sensitive.
- When vacuuming cut and loop pile or Berber carpet, turn the brush off or change the head to stop excess fuzzing.
- Check the height of the vacuum beaters and adjust if need be to ensure the carpet isn’t being harmed by disproportionate beating.
- If you have a high or thick pile, raise the height or reduce the level of suction for easier vacuuming.
- Half-full bags make suction much more efficient.
- Dust bags should be emptied or changed regularly.
- Filters should be changed as per the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Depending on how much foot traffic you have, carpet should generally be professional steam cleaned at least once a year.
- Professional carpet cleaners are the only people who should undertake steam cleaning. Also, they should be a member of the professional organisation who works by following Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZ 3733:1995.
- We do not recommend DIY steam cleaning or dry cleaning.
- So stains don’t penetrate into the fibres, prompt attention to spillages is essential.
- Drink spills, especially hot drinks, should always be seen to immediately. When liquids set or dry, they are much more difficult to remove.
- It is essential to be vigilant when doing spot removal of stains because incorrect care can cause permanent damage to the carpet.
- Follow recommended stain removal steps.
- Be careful with any chemicals or bleaches because your carpet will experience irreversible discolouration and damage.
- Godfrey Hirst Spot Out Stain Removal is a non-toxic option for removing stubborn stain but is gentle on the carpet.
How to Protect Your Carpet
- Place doormats at all your entrances.
- Chair pads and furniture coasters can alleviate pressure on the carpet.
- Rugs can protect the carpet in the busier areas of the home.
- Use windows coverings to protect your carpet from direct sunlight.